Happy In Bag

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Bald Is Beautiful

My impression of our national bird had been less than favorable. The only bald eagles I’d witnessed up close looked bedraggled and mangy. But over the weekend I spotted three bald eagles at the banks of the Kaw River in Lawrence. The majestic creatures soared gracefully, apparently seeking prey. Every time they neared a flock of gulls, panic would erupt among the much smaller birds. This shot is the best I could do with my basic Kodak.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ben Franklin didn't think much of the bald eagle either:

    "For my part, "I wish the eagle had not been chosen as the representative of this country. He is a bird of bad moral character; he does not get his living honestly. You may have seen him perched in some dead tree where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the labor of the fishing hawk and, when that diligent bird has at length taken a fish and is bearing it to his nest for his young ones, the bald eagle pursues him and takes the fish. With all this injustice, he is never in good case."

    Sound like anybody you know?

    http://www.nwf.org/wildlife/baldeagle/nationalbird.cfm

     

Post a Comment

<< Home