Happy In Bag

Monday, January 30, 2006

Hello, Hy-Vee

The time has come to address the burning issue of our day. It’s more vital than my opinion of Hamas, and more pressing than my take on the vote on the tax increase to fund Kansas City’s sports complex.

I’ve switched grocery stores. I’m now a Hy-Vee man.

For the past couple years I’ve roamed the wide aisles of my neighborhood Price Chopper. The guys behind the butcher counter give me new recipe ideas and sports predictions. The cashiers know that I’m not up for small talk. The store manager has learned to quickly trot the other way when he spots me. Everyone’s happy and no one gets hurt.

I also frequent the revamped Price Chopper in Roeland Park. It offers Mexican cookies and chorizo, and I love seeing produce that leaves me scratching my head, such as the prickly green fruit pictured. It's so dangerous that tongs are provided to handle it.

I’ve never cared for my local Hen House. It’s so upscale that it sometimes feels like an Easter parade fashion show. It’s congested, the prices are high and the lines are long. Additionally, a good portion of my household’s budget goes to Whole Foods, but I personally manage to avoid both it and Wild Oats.

Yet for the past few weeks, I’ve forsaken them for Hy-Vee. Even though it’s a bit out of the way, I’m thrilled by its cheap fruits, wide selection, enormous health food area, and best of all, the absence of an Orwellian shopper card.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    i'm a price chopper girl myself. i've made friends with the fish monger/produce guy and the deli lady. and when i walk in, everyone (almost) knows my name. i've tried Hy-Vee. when i lived in another part of the city, it was the only place i went. but now, on an average weekly shopping trip, i end up spending at least $20 more at Hy-Vee than at price chopper, and i can never find anything in the store. plus, i think their salad bar is pretty gross. but, that's just me. i'd love to know how you saved money there though.
    :)

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    Umm... Hy-Vee does have a frequent shopper card. And aren't they owned by the same company that ownd Hen House?

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Jessi- I really don't save any money at Hy-Vee because I splurge on impulse items, like cans of Chinese herbal cola.

    Emaw- I just asked the Hy-Vee staff about a shopper card. They denied such a thing existed.

     
  • At 11:38 PM, Blogger Nate Dogg said…

    Emaw: To clear up some myths... we do NOT have savings cards. A store up in Cedar Rapids tried it out and just as we thought, it didnt go over too well. When you go into a HyVee and you see all of those yellow signs, just remember that you'd need to remember that card to get those deals. Its a form of price discrimination (or so I tell my customers when they ask). And it is. When I go in there to get an emergency item that happens to be on sale, no one ever asks if i have a card, because in Price Chopper land, people with one item dont matter, in HyVeeland, everyone matters... $5 order to $500. And Hen House is not owned by HyVee. A group of families own all of the Price Choppers, Hen Houses and Sunfreshes. HyVee is its own privately owned company.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home