Happy In Bag

Monday, August 15, 2005

Stuck In Park

One of my fundamental credos states that it’s impossible not to have fun at a Major League Baseball game.

The Royals tested that doctrine Sunday afternoon as they lost their 14th and 15th games in a row in a gloomy doubleheader.

On the positive side, the temperature was ideal. David DeJesus hit an inside-the-park home run, Angel Berroa and Mark Teahan made stellar defensive plays, and Jose Lima pitched like an All-Star. The club gave away a DVD with highlights of the 1985 World Series team, and most importantly to many fans, the Royals’ twelve hits in the first game granted ticket holders free fat pills from Krispy Kreme. Yes, I had fun.

There’s a matter of money, however, that sticks in my craw. It’s not ticket prices; they’re fair. It’s not the cost of beer; the extravagant price helps me resist that temptation. It’s the $9.00 parking fee that really irks me. That’s about $750.00 for the season.

The Royals miss out on some of my chump change accordingly. More than once this summer, I’ve decided against going to a game on impulse, knowing that even though I can buy a $7.00 ticket, a $9.00 cover charge for the parking lot will eat up almost half the $20.00 in my wallet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home