Happy In Bag

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Tip On In

Dear Etiquette Guru:

You’ve probably never been to a Sonic Drive-In. The fast food outlet is ever so much tastier than McDonalds. Its brand of grease and sugar delights my palate. My gluttony won’t be curbed until my stomach is impeded by the steering wheel. You see, at Sonic the food is delivered to your car. This brings me to my question: Should I tip Sonic's servers, and if so, what’s the appropriate amount? I currently tell my server to "keep the change." So they make out like bandits if the bill is $7.95 and I hand them a ten. They’re out of luck if I order only a $1.75 breakfast burrito and fork over a deuce. What’s a polite fat boy to do?

Obese in KC

2 Comments:

  • At 5:13 PM, Blogger doug said…

    This is an age-old quandary.

    The 3-4 times a year I eat fast food it's usually at Sonic and I get so uncomfortable when the delivery-waiter-fast food person approaches my car. I know they will fumble around with my change, hoping if they stall long enough I will just say, "no that's ok, just keep it". Guess what, I don't say, "just keep it" and I do wait for my hard earned change. I waited tables for 5+ years through college/grad school, so I have total sympathy for the service industry worker . . . just not at Sonic.

    answer : don't tip.

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Unfortunately, I slung food as well. At Pizza Hut when it was all dine-in or pick-up, no less. (Did you want that pie thin & crispy or thick & chewy? Eeew! I'm old!) I say... it's all in the attitude, baby! If your food comes with a big ol' smile and that made YOU smile, then they deserve a tip. Joy should be rewarded! Maybe anybody who makes our humdrum days a little better deserves a dead prez or two.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home