Happy In Bag

Friday, June 02, 2006

Weltschmerz












Spelling bees rool! And so do nerds. Few events are as captivating as the Scripps National Spelling Bee. I learned a new word during yesterday’s finals that allows me to better understand my problems. The adorable Canadian girl who finished in second place failed to properly spell weltschmerz, which means a
"mental depression or apathy caused by comparison of the actual state of the world with an ideal state." This state of mind has a name? I finally feel validated.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:31 PM, Anonymous panos said…

    Appoggiatura.

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger Tonto said…

    'Weltschmerz' - melancholy, tired and sick of the world. That's one definition. The second, from what I've heard, is beautiful in a deep way: :
    "The quality of being homesick for a place one has never been, as if from a dream. A deep longing."
    I just love this meaning, and I just ran across a new word. In English, yet!::
    nostomania ( -mayn-yuh) noun
    An overwhelming desire to return home or to go back to familiar places.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home