Happy In Bag

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Suspicious Behavior














I suppose it's no surprise that I was briefly detained at KCI a couple weeks ago. I'm a little hinky-looking under the best of circumstances. With time to kill in a dull airport, it's almost inevitable that I find trouble. It was the act of taking this very shot that aroused suspicion. Security was not amused by the sloppily dressed guy with crazy hair taking random photographs from unlikely vantage points near the Southwest Airlines counter. I don't blame them. (I've distorted the image to lessen the odds of authorities knocking on my door.)

4 Comments:

  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger kcmeesha said…

    Authorities don't have to knock....The only sure way not to be detained is to dress up like a terrorist. The rest of us are fair game.

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger the unthinking lemming said…

    A few years ago I had gone downtown to take some pictures of installations that were part of KC's Avenue of the Arts. As I snapped my shots I was approached by a Segway riding security person who informed me that taking pictures of buildings downtown was frowned upon because of what had happened on 9/11. I asked if what I was doing was illegal. The gentleman could not come up with any law of which I was in violation. So I took his picture, politely suggested he take a hike and off he went in a self-important huff.

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger Ruralgurl said…

    The Christmas after 9/11 I was photographing the annual fabulous holiday light display at the Anheuser-Busch (umm... InBev?) brewery here in STL during a snowstorm, when a security guy came up and told me that I couldn't be on A-B property taking pictures because of 9/11. So I stepped off the sidewalk into the street, which is owned by the city, and said, "Happy?" He growled at me and went back to his guard shack.

    The brewery? Like I was gonna bomb a brewery and effectively bring St. Louis to a screeching halt? Geez, my husband would kill me!

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger brucedene said…

    It warms my heart to see that HiB readers are confident knowing what they can shoot, and unafraid to confront authority with that confidence. "Frowned upon"? Gimme a freakin' break!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home