Happy In Bag

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Brahms Gets the Ax
















"Let's try to keep each other awake," one matron told another before Friday night's performance at The Lyric Theater. Many in the audience displayed a disconcerting lack of enthusiasm for the program of Brahms and Beethoven. Rather than being inspired by the music presented by The Kansas City Symphony, they attended out of a sense of civic obligation and for the opportunity for social engagement. The performance? I've never cared for Brahms, but Emanuel Ax was splendid. Beethoven's compelling Pastoral Symphony was impeccably rendered.

7 Comments:

  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger kcmeesha said…

    Once I made it to a similar concert at the same venue and was surpirised by the number of old people getting plenty of sleep for their money. Honestly, I was tempted myself but was entertained by watching musicians trying to stay awake on the stage.

     
  • At 11:16 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    To be fair, M.V., there were also plenty of music nerds- myself included- on hand. And about a quarter of the audience was under forty.

     
  • At 5:40 PM, Blogger Average Jane said…

    I agree that the Beethoven was more enjoyable than the Brahms, but I can't imagine nodding off during either one! It had been a while since I saw the KC Symphony perform and I had a great time.

    Nice running into you there, incidentally! :)

     
  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Congrats, A.J., on being one of the relative youngsters.

     
  • At 6:55 PM, Blogger bgo said…

    One can only imagine if it was a program of Stravinsky and Ives. That's something I'd sure to like to see and hear.

     
  • At 8:03 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    I reckon that's also what most members of the Symphony also want to see and hear, BGO.

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger bgo said…

    The day that somebody in KC will credibly play a work by Harrison Birtwistle will be a real eye opener for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home