Happy In Bag

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Night Noise
















I practically lived at Super 8, Microtel, Hampton Inn and La Quinta when I worked as a traveling salesman. Bouts of homesickness aside, I really liked the gig. Part of the attraction was the roar of the highway outside my motel rooms. The constant sound of traffic on interstates like I-10, I-20, I-29, I-35, I-40 and I-70 lulled me to sleep. I've never completely adjusted to nights at home. Utter silence is regularly interrupted by train whistles, dogs barking, the bloody screams of cats and their victims, hip hop thump from passing cars, and the scratching of squirrels. I just can't tune out this vivid soundtrack.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    Traveling salesman, eh? Can you get me a good deal on a new vacuum cleaner?

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    No jokes about "sucking" are allowed in this space, Emaw.

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger Xavier Onassis said…

    I once worked with a woman who had always lived in "da hood". She said she couldn't go to sleep at night without the sounds of sirens and police helicopters. Made her feel safe, knowing they were out there protecting her.

    Whatever.

    But more importantly, WTF is that in the picture?!? Is that a tree? Or a mutant deformed deer leg with an abscess? What the hell is that thing?

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Ha ha. I really like the nightmarish quality of that picture. It's just the base of a small tree that an ambitious gardener once deliberately twisted. There's a word for that, no doubt, but I don't know it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home