Happy In Bag

Friday, February 20, 2009

Whistling Past











I love Amazon.com. I also marvel that content is now free for consumers who choose not to pay for it. I don't want to return to the past; the genie is out of the bottle. Even so, flashbacks prevented me from fully enjoying my gyro yesterday at Jerusalem Cafe. I remember when the same space was part of Whistler's Books. Long before national chains and the internet changed the way reading material is consumed, Whistler's was Kansas City's best bookstore. I miss the community and unique sense of place it provided.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:30 AM, Blogger bgo said…

    And before that it was a bookstore named Bibliomania.

    It was owned by this character:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilsonb/865892458/in/set-72157600939598315/

    Google his name and be very surprised.

    Ray was the last owner of Milton's.

    Things have changed.

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Wow, I remember Ray. I even did a little business with him in the '80s. Back then I didn't have Google to fact check his crazy stories.

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger Fred Sanford said…

    ...and right next to the book store, going a little further back, was The Souper, were on Thursday afternoons one could shell and gobble a pound of shrimp for $2.50.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home