Happy In Bag

Friday, July 15, 2005

That First Step Is a Doozy

If it’s the little things that give our lives meaning, award me the first prize ribbon now.

I cross the intersection pictured above several times a week. While idling at the stoplight last month, I noticed a finch building a nest in a tiny hole in this traffic fixture twenty feet above the street. The cavity is visible about two feet to the right of the street sign.

This week, I've taken an inordinate amount of pleasure spotting the bird delivering food to its progeny.

While I’m encouraged by its pluck, I'm concerned about the finch's ability to successfully communicate to its young that their first flights must be stellar, lest they splatter on the pavement below.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's a study in natural selection, my friend.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home