Happy In Bag

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Meet Me At the Wrecking Ball

Like most guys, I get giddy every time I see a wrecking ball in action.

So I was excited to come across a building being demolished near the Midland Theater in downtown Kansas City on Friday.

I didn’t flinch as the wrecking ball first slammed into the seemingly unremarkable building. But as sections crumbled away, I saw that underneath the taupe coating, the building once sported a beautiful concrete and brick exterior, complete with artful limestone flourishes.

The structure put up a fight. Strikes that would have torn through much modern construction dislodged only bits of mortar and brick.

Alas, only its tenants’ memories, this photograph, and a lingering cloud of asbestos remain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home