Happy In Bag

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Where's the Red Carpet?














I expected cheerleaders in bright red costumes. I thought there would be a petting zoo, a marching band and all sorts of whizbangs.

Instead I found a dusty parking lot, a creaky store that smelled of potpourri, and a desultory teenager selling cider, peaches and doughnuts. And, of course, the obligatory taffy.

After decades of hearing wonderful things about it, the Louisburg Cider Mill disappointed me when I finally visited it last week. I’m not down, though. My sea monkey order should I arrive any day. I can’t wait to watch those rascals play volleyball.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    I used to love the cider mill. My grade school took yearly field trips to it, my family picked our pumpkin from its patch each year, and watching apples being pressed and donuts being fried used to be enough to get me through a lazy afternoon there. I realized this was no longer the case two years ago when I drug Nick there with me promising incredible times and fun and joy and laughter. Instead, it was just as you have described - dusty, desolate and depressing. The thing is, I think it's always been a little dusty and a little desolate, I just think that as a child, it was the promise of getting in the car and driving 40 minutes to get apple cider that made it really, really enticing. It's also a little bit better in the fall. Maybe try October?

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Mark said…

    I can't decide between two equally obvious comments:

    1. There's a reason to go to the cider mill in the fall: for Cider Fest.

    2. There's a reason they have Cider Fest in the fall: that's when people go there.

    All the stuff you saw there is also present during Cider Fest. The difference now is that you can actually move through the store and select purchases without having someone stick their elbow in your face every nine seconds.

    You want pony rides? Live music? Craft-tastic booths? That's the last weekend in September and the first weekend in October.

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    That makes sense, Mark. I guess I wouldn't look for fireworks in October, or for Halloween candy in July. And thanks for the confirmation, Jessi.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home