Happy In Bag

Monday, December 04, 2006

No Beef On Bun














There’s no beef on bun. And you won’t find a yammer pie, either.

Even though much of Ohana Hawaiian BBQ’s menu may be unfamiliar to Kansas City diners, area meat eaters should find all of it delicious. The restaurant is an organic orange’s throw from Whole Foods at 91st and Metcalf.

I’ve never been to Hawaii and won’t presume to call Ohana’s glazed and grilled food authentic. Yet I can report with authority that each of the offerings on the featured menu item, the "Hawaiian BBQ Mix" plate, is sweet and tasty.

The catch is that the California-based chain is situated in that difficult terrain between fast food and fine dining. After drinks are factored in, it’s not difficult to spend close to $10.00 for a meal. That’s a lot for a place with counter service.

Only Gates and Bryants get away with that here. I hope Ohana joins that elite club.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:42 AM, Blogger Don't Need Anything said…

    i just finished breakfast but thats already got me thinking about lunch

     
  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger Xavier Onassis said…

    HIB, you're description sounds better than the picture looks.

    No offense, but when I saw the picture my first thoughts were of summer road kill and Saw II. And I haven't even seen any of the Saw movies. Just the previews.

    This is why most of the advertising photography of food, doesn't include real photographs of real food. They have FX guys fabricate replicas of delicious looking food that will photograph well.

    That being said, sounds delish! I'll try and check it out soon.

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    DNA- I had a #1 at Burger King for lunch. I'd rate it a 4/10.

    XO- I tried really hard to get a good picture of my plate, but this food is just not very photogenic. Again, I'll implore you to create links to your daily blog comments- you're the best/worst!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home