Happy In Bag

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Down With Dwight















I was an unsuspecting high school kid when I pulled a few Miles Davis albums from a 3-for-$10.00 bin at Penny Lane Records in Westport. I'd read that the trumpeter was pretty good. Spotting my purchase, this man insisted that I also buy a wacky homemade cassette by his band Black Crack Review. It changed everything. I couldn't believe that such anarchic jazz music existed, let alone that the guy behind the mysterious noise worked in a Kansas City record store. I soon learned that B.C.R. were under the spell of Sun Ra, a bandleader from Saturn. I captured this image of Dwight Frizzell immediately before B.C.R.'s performance yesterday at the Fringe Festival. The band travels the spaceways again at 9:30 tonight. Additional photos and notes are posted at my jazz blog.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:46 PM, Blogger Eolaí gan Fhéile said…

    Wow - I've featured his soundscapes on my site before, found through his interest in "the Irish wilderness" of southern Missouri.

    I hope this doesn't mean I like jazz!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home