Happy In Bag

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Politics of Pronunciation




















I expect my political representatives to know how to properly pronounce the name of our nation's capital.

Real Kansans know that the White House is in "Wersh-ing-ton." My kin in western Kansas emply the alternate pronunciation of "Warsh-ing-ton."

Only city slickers say "Wash-ing-ton."

That's why I'm excited about Nick Jordan. The Congressional hopeful gets it right at the 0:13 and 0:35 second marks of a television spot. Alas, the generic voiceover person spoils the effect with her outsider mispronunciation of the word.

Jordan's opponent, incumbent Dennis Moore, gets it wrong at the :09 mark in this commercial. (Don't miss his magic scrapbook!)

Gov. Kathleen Sebelius didn't move to Kansas until she was 26. That's probably why she gets in wrong at the 1:52 mark of this endorsement speech.

Sam Brownback disappoints at the 0:48 and 3:38 marks in an informal discussion of "puny souls" and "good and evil."

Senatorial candidate Jim Slattery fumbles at the 4:11 mark in this stilted speech. He's trying to unseat Pat Roberts. After painfully extensive and fruitless research, I've concluded that Roberts refuses to utter the word.

Perhaps the pronunciation issue is just too explosive for the veteran politician to touch.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger kcmeesha said…

    it took me years to figure out that only politicians say missourrah

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    I can forgive a lot of mispronunciations as long as they pronounce newkular correctly.

    Now, enough of this silliness. I have to go warsh my dishes.

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger kcmeesha said…

    not related:emaw, I can't comment on your site,why do you hate me?

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger bgo said…

    Whoreshington

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    I'm regularly mocked for saying "wersh," Emaw. As in, "I hope this barbecue stain on my shirt comes out in the wersh."

    You said it, BGO.

    That's always bugged me too, Meesha.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home