Happy In Bag

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Hey Kids, Let's Sell Some Tickets









I saw Akeelah and the Bee Saturday afternoon at the AMC at Ward Parkway, my neighborhood movie theater. The film was released the day before, yet less than two dozen people were in the enormous theater.

The tickets were costly and I spent even more on popcorn and beverages. Still, it's no secret that DVD sales and disruptive audiences, to say nothing of the prohibitive expenses of movie-going, are damaging the business of exhibition companies like AMC.

I propose that Kansas City-based AMC experiment with an auction-style sales model, sort of a cross between eBay and Priceline. Opening day tickets to a blockbuster might sell for a premium. Entry to older films, or movies that have yet to develop a word-of-mouth following, would sell for bargain prices. It’s money that would otherwise not be realized. The idea is to reduce number the empty seats; surely any losses would be covered at the concession stand.

How about it, AMC?

4 Comments:

  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    I think they should give away DVD copies to marquis movies during the openings. So you buy a $20 ticket to see Mission Impossible III and you see it in the theater, then pick up a DVD copy of the movie on your way out.

    Also, they should experiment with Double Features. Example, go buy a $15 ticket to see Mission Impossible II and III in the same afternoon.

    Just some ideas.

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Good call, Emaw. Maybe AMC will see fit to hire us both.

     
  • At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There's still something about the theater that can't be put on a DVD. At least not for me, a guy with a circa 1995 Wal Mart TV. I like the disruptive audience; I like the trailers; I like the stadium seating. I like the "escape" of the movie theater (even though it's right across the steet from my apartment). I think movie theaters need to play up those things that moviegoers can only get in a theater, those things that don't cross over to your surround-sound-plasma-screen-entertainment-center.

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    I agree with you, Rocky. That's why I hope AMC adopts an innovative way to fill all those empty seats.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home