Happy In Bag

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Sculpture Park












A lot of people- myself included- were amused by this story. The saga contains several compelling elements- a turf war, power plays and a major snafu. The cities of Leawood and Prairie Village were skirmishing over the possible placement of a sculpture at the intersection of Somerset and Lee. (It's near 79th and State Line.) The devilishly handsome Emaw satirized the situation. The small patch of grass in question is pictured here. Neither the story nor Emaw's response addresses my primary concern- a sculpture would obstruct the view. The relatively busy intersection has both a stoplight and a yield sign. I've never seen an accident there, perhaps largely because drivers can make eye contact with one another. I cast my lot with the naysayers.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:10 AM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    When the Star wrote "the Leawood Arts Council had designed a sculpture, called "Porch Lights," specifically for that island" I was thinking they took into account the sight lines, etc., specifically for that island.

    But, to paraphrase Johnny Sacrimoni, I just think it's "funny, ironic, whatever" that with everything going on in the world, and all the abundance these two towns benefit from, they are quibling over public art and a 40-square-foot patch of ground.

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Understood, Emaw. Still... unless "Porch Lights" is either a low-lying fountain or transparent plastic, it'd be a nuisance. To paraphrase Tony Soprano, it could be "like King Midas in reverse."

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    "like King Midas in reverse."

    ::chuckle:: Touché

     
  • At 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    From my bicycle where perhaps I get more time to look at the finer details left behind - I have seen the remains of a crash at that junction - just last month in fact.

    With no desire to see another one I'd be on the naysaying side myself.

    I'm sure they do take sightlines into account, but, to paraphrase Truman Capote, it's still clutter.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home