Happy In Bag

Thursday, July 10, 2008

My Wingmen









While they're hardly the prettiest or most exotic birds, common robins almost seem like my friends. Unafraid of humans, they know to follow my lawnmower for easy access to panicked insects. Something went horribly wrong last week. I spotted deeply disturbing carnage as I worked. A fledgling robin had apparently been struck by the mower blade. It was barely alive, and maggot-laying flies had begun their dastardly business. I'm so sorry. (Yes, I know that's not a robin, but it'll be a while before I can look one in the eye again.)

2 Comments:

  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Spyder said…

    That's sad. ;-(

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Blogger the unthinking lemming said…

    My cat, Duke (for Ellington), brings me robin offerings every so often. Mostly it is mice. My dog, OTOH, is a Cairn Terrier. The chipmunks, squirrels and rabbits gotta be pretty quick on their toes. Either way, I get to clean up the carnage.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home