Happy In Bag

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Stimulus










I observe Lent by abstaining from alcohol. For over a decade I've experienced annual booze-friendly events including spring training, opening day, SXSW, St. Patrick's Day, spring break and March Madness without a drop of liquor. I usually don't think much about it until Easter nears. It's different in 2009. Helplessly watching the world's economy collapse, I've already felt a strong desire to gulp shots of Maker's Mark. And I don't even drink whiskey. It's going to be a long forty days.

8 Comments:

  • At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You can always try huffing...

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    No cheating allowed, Nuke. I just chant my new mantra- "This is not happening...this is not happening...this is not happening."

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    tru dat.

     
  • At 8:22 PM, Blogger Ruralgurl said…

    Sitting in the church basement Sunday, people wolfing down doughnuts and coffee like it's their last meal, the "Lent" conversation bubbled. Someone asked my husband what he gave up for Lent. Deadpan and quick came his reply, "Space travel."

    Spit take city. Get out the Tide pen. Unless you gave it up for Lent.

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Your husband is a funny guy, RG. One reason I even think about my health is so that I might live long enough to engage in space tourism. Of course, without any savings left, paying for it might be a challenge.

    I'm with you, Brother Emaw.

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Spyder said…

    I gave up booze too. Now my Diet Cokes just don't taste right without Cpt Morgan.

     
  • At 8:03 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    It's been years since I've had a Captain Morgan and OJ, Spyder. Mmmm.

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger Spyder said…

    I've never tried the Capt with orange juice. I'll have to try that after Lent.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home