Happy In Bag

Saturday, March 26, 2011

The World's Most Expensive Beer










The two previous posts have been filled with effusive praise of France. Not quite everything about my trip was perfect. Here's my most humiliating Parisian experience. I had about thirty minutes of downtime after visiting the grave of Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir. I reckoned a quick beer was in order. A waiter at a seemingly modest cafe asked me if I wanted a small or large glass. I'd seen people sipping from puny cups, so I requested a large glass, thinking I'd receive a pint. I was distressed when he returned with a liter of Carlsberg. Imagine my chagrin when I saw the check- 22 euros for the beer and 8 euros for my companion's hot chocolate! I considered throttling the waiter or making a dash for it. Instead, I laughed like a madman as I spent the next hour drinking the world's most expensive beer. I am an idiot.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger bgo said…

    Je sais que je suis un idiot

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Nick said…

    That's not bad. Really. Over the years I overpaid for a variety of things overseas, many far more embarrassing than beer.

    Though...that stein sure looks German.

    ; ' )

     
  • At 6:33 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Oui, Bill.

    I was parched, Nick. Wine wouldn't have done the trick. And it's not like most joints over there are willing to serve complimentary tap water. Thanks for making feel like less of a fool.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home