Happy In Bag

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

First Watch

It’s restaurants like First Watch that make me think I should jump apron-first into the eatery business.

Its Westport, Fairway and Prairie Village locations are almost always full during breakfast hours. And on Sunday, there’s often a waiting list. Based in California, First Watch has just over fifty locations; nine are in the Kansas City area.

Yet the food is utterly unremarkable. And it’s expensive. It’s not difficult to spend $20.00, including a generous tip, on breakfast for two. And that tip reflects First Watch’s strength. Their attentive wait staff is impressive.

Beyond that, though, the food is pedestrian, and the coffee is just plain bad. So, what’s the deal? Meetings. For many Kansas Citians, First Watch is the default place to meet for breakfast. And frankly, many First Watch patrons probably want to avoid diners like Denny’s or the Waffle House, for both the smoke and for the patrons that aren’t wearing business suits.

If that’s all it takes to be successful, I may open a joint call The Meeting Place. I’m seeing with potential investors tomorrow morning. Where? Well, uh, at First Watch in Westport.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so glad to hear someone else share my opinion about First Watch. Whenever I can I redirect meetings to other places that are less expensive with better food. Even the Classic Cup on the Plaza comes out cheaper many times!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home