Happy In Bag

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Thirsty
















I’m so thirsty.

I abstain from alcohol for forty days every spring. It’s a shamefully trivial sacrifice, yet my weakness makes the annual challenge difficult. It coincides with an especially lively time of year- spring break, March Madness, baseball’s spring training and opening day, SXSW and St. Patricks Day.

This year, I didn’t miss it for the first 18 days, save for a moment when I encountered an especially inviting pub on a rainy night in Seattle last week. But since returning from vacation, it’s been gnawing at me. I feel like a depraved junkie.

Pathetic.
------
I'm putting myself in harm's way tonight. While Wilco performs at the Uptown, I'll be at the Hurricane for three Wilco-esque bands. I prefer the debut release of Lawrence's OK Jones to Wilco's last two efforts. Local boys Pendergast must be the band Bob Seger had in mind when he wrote "Rock and Roll Never Forgets." Headliner Marah used to evoke Springsteen circa '74. The Philly band have lost their way of late, but maybe they'll return to their ragged roots tonight. Feel free to join me; I'll be the guy staring balefully at the bar.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:21 AM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    hmmmm. i'll be at wilco. we should compare notes after :)

    glad you're back to blogging.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Curious fans of Uncle Tupelo or early Bruce should check out this excellent raw footage of live Marah at YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aostxy96p2o&search=Marah

     
  • At 7:51 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    AM- No, I didn't know of the bad news until Stan told me when I entered the Hurricane. Huge bummer. Still, I stayed for OK Jones and thirty minutes of Pendergast. As good as they were, the sense of disappointment hung heavy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home