Happy In Bag

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Your Entertainment Superstore











I miss Hastings. Since the Amarillo-based retailer closed their outlet on Santa Fe in Olathe when Borders, Barnes & Noble and Best Buy encroached on the territory, the nearest location is now the somewhat unrepresentative outlet in Lawrence. Hastings specializes in offering small markets a surprisingly deep and thoughtful selection of music, books and video. Their folksy, haphazard design is a comforting alternative to the efficiency of their high-concept rivals. And Hastings knows their customer base- the marquee of this store in Hays, Kansas, is promoting a book by the retired Kansas State football coach.

----
Yesterday I spotted a turkey vulture scavenging roadkill in my neighborhood. Was I hallucinating?

3 Comments:

  • At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You probably weren't hallucinating the turkey vulture. I used to work at 95th & Wornall, and we had a few turkey vultures there. I saw them flying/hovering a lot when I walked in from the bus. They would sometimes land on the ledge of the office building where I worked, easily visible from our cubicles through the plate glass windows. Creepy. (Not a good omen when people were getting laid off, either.)

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Mark said…

    The Hastings in Lawrence is closed, too. I was there last month.

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Thanks for the confirmation, Heidi. And Mark, thanks for the heads up. I see now that CD Tradepost has two Lawrence stores. What's your take on them?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home