Happy In Bag

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

You Swale Me












I’m a skeptic.

The Kansas City area is dotted with sites that ostensibly contain original wagon wheel tracks made by 19th century pioneers. One such marker is just a mile from my house. I wish I could see the ruts. But I can’t. I suspect that they’re not even there. It’s just wishful thinking by history buffs.

This picture is from a similar site in southwestern Kansas. If I’m feeling generous I can spot what might be swales cut by wagons on the Santa Fe Trail. But I also see a cloud that looks just like Walt Bodine. Without the power of suggestive thinking and the imprimatur of a historical society, I don’t think anyone could detect them.

I'm not suggesting that wagons didn’t once roll past this land. It’s just that time, farmers and construction have eroded the evidence.

Tell me I’m wrong.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't tell you that you're specifically wrong, but you might be, and I intend to look some more.

    I've been to Pompeii, and despite the wonderful architecture, artwork, and mosaics, for me the most tangible touch with its past are the wheel ruts on the stone streets.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home