Happy In Bag

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

We Missed All the Fun


















Kansas City Jazz: From Ragtime to Bebop- A History is just as much about the story of our town as it is a study of jazz music. Authors Frank Driggs and Chuck Haddix take special pleasure in recounting lurid details of our past. Today's strip joints have nothing on Kansas City's sin palaces during the Pendergast era. And the book's passages on the glory days of the Pla-Mor Ballroom, Fairyland Park and the El Torreon are riveting. I would gladly hand over my money if Chuck would offer a guided tour of these sites.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This book will be next on my list. Please tell me it comes with a CD? If it doesn't, the publisher is an idiot.

    Chuck Haddix rules.

    Hold on...channeling Milton for a moment..."I ain't mad at nobody!"

    Wow. I'm back now. What happened?

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger WLIB said…

    XO: No disc companion. WTF were they thinking? At least it's out in paperback now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home