Happy In Bag

Thursday, December 07, 2006

I'm a Cranky Old Man













Several months ago I asked a teenager at a movie theater’s concession counter for a free refill on my popcorn. She looked at me as if I had lost my mind. I go to movies so infrequently that I didn’t realize that complimentary refills are a thing of the past. Similarly, even as full-service gas stations faded, you could always add air to your tires for no charge. Earlier this week I had to drop three quarters into this machine to prop up a leaky tire.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No no! Go to Quiktrip! Air still free.

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Thanks, Panos! I knew this blogging thing would pay off eventually.

     
  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    Damn Quiktrip! What good is it for me to buy up all of the air to try to corner the market if QT is just going to GIVE it away!

    Curses!

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger Xavier Onassis said…

    I've noticed that the gas station attendants no longer wear crisply starched uniforms (with their name embroidered above the breast pocket), bow ties, peaked caps and freshly polished shoes.

    They also don't pump my gas, wash my windshield, check my oil (walking around to show me the dip-stick like a sommelier presenting a wine selection for my approval), air up my tires, or give my daughter a lolipop and a complimentary inflatable dinosaur.

    In fact, they increasingly look and act like New York cabbies. Not the ones you see in the old movies, either. We're not talking "Ernie" in "It's a Wonderful Life".

    Getting old sucks, don't it?

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Oh man, XO, I'd forgotten all about the dipstick ritual! That's exactly how it was done. Good call.

     
  • At 12:26 AM, Blogger Xavier Onassis said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home