Happy In Bag

Monday, October 29, 2007

Atomic Punk















It was like a bad horror movie. There was no escape from the hordes of Van Halen zombies pillaging downtown Kansas City early Friday evening. Most of them looked exactly like me, except that they were visibly happier. I love Van Halen, too. I saw them at Kauffman stadium in '77 and I even have a favorite VH song. But I was downtown for another show, and I wasn't in the mood to watch goofy dudes play air guitar. I finally found refuge at Truman's, an odd little place inside the lobby of the former Kansas City Club.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger bgo said…

    Even though I spend most days and the occasional evening, downtown, I have never entered this place and probably never will. Watching downtown spring back to new heights is a mixed blessing for me. With the pending awakening of the Entertainment District next March, I dread all the corporate drek that will prop open their doors. A certain lack of local character will be amiss. We need a red light district near downtown run by cast of colorful guys named Tony and Vito.

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    C'mon, BGO. It's gonna be great! People will still be able to choose between "corporate drek" and little mom-and-pops like Truman's. After hanging out downtown last Friday, I'm a true believer.

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger bgo said…

    I have a response hib.>

    I love downtown KC. And I know it well because the people in the bee like uniforms who work for the CID are my friends. We share what we know and have a feel for what is really happening down here. The library is great place to understand downtown believe it or not, as we juggle humanity at a level no other place down here does. So...how's things in Johnson County? C'mon down for lunch one day and I'll buy and go deeper in debt (my credit cards still bargain) before Saint Peter comes calling.

    Your pal,

    Bgo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home