Happy In Bag

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Trade Sanctions










Equal parts Whole Foods, Costco and Berbiglia, Trader Joe's is one of my favorite retailers. I love its lively selection of fresh produce, international food and cheap wine. Alas, it's not an option in Kansas City. My guess is that the California-based chain won't be here anytime soon. Trader Joe's likes to saturate markets- St. Louis has four locations and Chicago has 15- but Kansas' antiquated liquor laws disallow the combination of groceries and alcohol.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We could still have one on the Missouri side. I keep waiting...

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Brookside, Midtown or Crossroads and maybe one of those new developments up north are natural candidates, AJ. But I suspect that management doesn't want to spend their marketing dollars and energy here knowing that they can't open stores in Mission, 119th and Roe and 135th and Quivira.

     
  • At 2:40 PM, Blogger WLIB said…

    You can suggest a new location on the TJ webdoodle:

    http://www.traderjoes.com/location_requests_form.aspx

    I suggested KCMO multiple times when I lived there, to no avail.

    But now I live in Chicago, so eat that, SUCKAS!

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger Faith said…

    They won't come here unless they can be on both sides of the state line. I used to work at a commercial development company when we were trying to woo the TJs to town. It's futile until they give up on their desire to straddle. They want to put in at least 3 stores...2 in MO and 1 in KS. So, yeah. Not gonna happen until KS wakes the hell up.

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Thanks for confirming my much-maligned business acumen, Faith. There's your confirmation AJ.

    Ah, for some Two Buck Chuck, Lee...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home