Happy In Bag

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Curses










Call me old-fashioned. Say I'm a prude. Just don't curse at me- please. I'm not proud of the fact that I regularly unleash vulgar language. Still, I realize that when it's skillfully employed, profanity can be both artful and amusing. Even so, that base words are now commonly accepted makes me think that the era of utter Idiocracy is upon us. I shudder as I type these words for the first time at Happy In Bag, but examples of this coarse discourse include "ass," "butt" and "crap." A certain newspaper even printed the word "butt" on its front page yesterday. I spotted this label on a box of equipment at the Power & Light District last week.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger kcmeesha said…

    Finally formal and every-day English converge. Nothing wrong with that,since many of the formal users were famous for notoriously dirty mouths, so it's all a scam to get some PhD's and sell books.

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger the unthinking lemming said…

    Have formal and so-called 'every-day' English really converged. I think no more than the two have ever been the same but different. It is less about being common language than HIB is reacting to the level of coarseness and vulgarity. There is a big difference between being colloquial and simple crassness.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home