Happy In Bag

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Clay










In spite of a warning that Clay features "loud music, adult language and strong content," traditional theatergoers surrounded me when I caught the "hip hop musical" last weekend at Kansas City's Copaken Stage in the H&R Block building downtown. It's awkward hearing the f-word and an account of a shocking sexual encounter while sitting amid elderly matrons. That objection aside, I loved Clay. Here's the Star's review. I consider the production's musical content at There Stands the Glass.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was thinking of going with my 13-year old, HiB. What do you think? Appropriate, or not? I let her watch "Gossip Girl" ... not without some trepidation.

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Spoiler alert!

    Unless you're Rick In PV, read no further.

    Seriously. Stop now.

    It's a tough call, Rick. Obsenities are not an issue for a 13-year-old. But there are two really heavy shockers. The first is a devastating on-stage suicide.

    The second concern is a graphic depiction of a sexual encounter between a teen and his stepmother.

    Don't let the fact that it's a one-man show fool you- the actor is so talented that you think you see everything.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home