Happy In Bag

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Gone To Seed










Many of the most explosive battles in my family when I was a boy were related to our yard. I hated mowing the lawn. Mocking old men who putter around their immaculate lawns has long been one of my most satisfying pastimes. Lately, however, I've become less agitated by yard work. While my modest property has yet to reflect it, I've rather enjoyed pulling weeds and pushing my Craftsman lawnmower around this summer. If this unlikely trend continues, I'll be gunning for the yard-of-the-month award in twenty years.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger Ruralgurl said…

    Please tell me you did not wear sandals with dark socks during this putter event.....

     
  • At 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's a whole lot more fun if your Craftsman is a RIDER and not a push mower. For a few seconds, you almost feel like a farmer! Well not really but since I got it, I've never minded mowing, other than now I'm too lazy to stop the mower, get off, pick up things I shouldn't drive over, start it up and go on. I just go ahead and run over them.

    But in order to pleaze my wife, I have to cut everything in diagonals. IF I have to come out of retirement, I'll learn Spanish and go to work for a landscaper. I can mow PERFECT diagonal lines!

    I had to mow my father in law's half acre or more (I don't know shit about acrage but he has a barn next to his house.)

    I did feel like a farmer doing HIS yard a few weeks ago. But I'm with you, yardwork sucks. When I was 13, I got 2 dollars for a regular lot and 3:50 for a corner lot in Nall Hills. Including hand clipping because weed eaters hadn't been invented yet. Nor self propelled mowers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home