Happy In Bag

Monday, August 10, 2009

Hutch











Standing in a room full of people who both look and think like me is a dizzying proposition. It led to many mind-boggling moments at a family reunion in Hutchinson last weekend. I sometimes wonder if my heritage is a blessing or a curse. My late father often railed against our ancestors. "Why did they have to stop in Kansas?" he'd ask. "Why couldn't they have pushed on to California?" The original homestead is unfit for crops and absent of oil. Although I understand my pop's position, I accept that the past can't be undone. And I'm proud of the blood coursing through my veins.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:29 PM, Blogger Ruralgurl said…

    Just as curious are my family reunions, either side. While I am positive that I am not adopted, I look like none of them, I speak like none of them, no inherited mannerisms, seemingly only a love of gardening and food links us. For all that, I could have been related to Martha Stewart.

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger bgo said…

    I know too much family history my hurts just thinking about it.

    But then truth is pain and like they say no pain no gain. I guess I have gained.

     
  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    That's one way to look at it, BGO.

    Today I saw a toddler wearing a shirt that read, "Tell Me I'm Adopted." You'll need one of those for your next reunion, RG.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home