Happy In Bag

Friday, October 29, 2010

Prioritizing Puppies











I feed birds, cheer for my neighborhood fox and smile when I spot cats on the prowl in my backyard. That behavior, I'd like to think, is relatively normal. What strikes me as strange, however, is the intense devotion people have to the area's many animal advocate groups. A disproportionate number of benefit events, including this "doggy trick-or-treat" fundraiser, raise money for animal shelters. A tremendous amount of energy has been invested in the anti-"puppy mill" initiative on the ballot in Missouri. I'm reluctant to pick on nice people attempting to do nice things, but I'm still compelled to question our society's priorities.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Don't Need Anything said…

    i feel exactly the same way. i love animals, but humans need so much help too.

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger the unthinking lemming said…

    Disproportionate to say... The NFL wearing pink for the month of October or the Kansas City Marathon raising money for cancer or the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon... There are dozens of other examples I could cite.

    The current political focus on Prop B aside, I'm not so sure that our priorities are all that messed up.

     
  • At 8:55 PM, Blogger Ruralgurl said…

    Why do I choose to contribute to NPR or the Botanical Garden but not the United Way? Why do I have no children or pets, but seven guitars? I readily admit that my priorities may be messed up, but they are my priorities. We are human, we all have messed up priorities. If we didn't, there'd be no hunger, disease, need or crime.

     
  • At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Rick in PV said…

    You want my theory? Human interactions are so complicated these days that some people tend to concentrate on helping clearly innocent animals ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home