Happy In Bag

Friday, May 12, 2006

Your Favorite Building



















What’s your favorite building in Kansas City?

It may be the gorgeous structure on 9th Street that’s currently serving as Aquila’s home. Historians and drinkers alike may automatically think of the rickety building at the northwest corner of Pennsylvania and Westport. Sports nuts may go with Arrowhead Stadium. Residents of Valentine and Hyde Park would naturally pick their own homes.

The Livestock Exchange building in the West Bottoms is my pick. It encapsulates this town’s progress and subsequent stagnation. Sure, its massive size is impressive, but you can’t fully appreciate the building until you’re inside. And no, the old-school bar at the steakhouse doesn’t really count. The weight of history, along with thousands of real or imagined spirits, press on you as you roam its halls.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My favorite building is that rectangle-shaped building that stands about 70 feet off the ground, the one that's off to your left when you're driving in I 35 North, just about to enter downtown. Is that thing a house?

     
  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger WLIB said…

    For purely sentimental reasons, my favorite building in KC is the Plaza Library. But not the one that's there now. It's fine and I hope that the developer finally comes through with the promised money to finish the library part. But I miss the cheesy one that used to stand on the same spot, with the fountain that usually didn't work and the beaten up chairs and post office in the basement. I remember being a much younger writer carrying around my 5&1/4" floppies and working on the AppleIIe there.

    As for existing buildings, I'm still fond of the space at Harry's Bar & Tables, which I know from many past incarnations.

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Rocky- I think that's a house; at least, I've always wanted to move in.

    Lee- Those windows in the new library are really nice. I also really like the new downtown library.

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rocky - it is a house, or, it was a house. Boyfriend and I drove up there two weeks ago to try to find it. Lo and behold, the house was open. We went up - some damn developer bought it and is using it to showcase $1.5 million dollar houses that will be going up. Yes, they will be tearing that house down. GO! While you still can... it's at 17th and Washington.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home