Happy In Bag

Friday, February 23, 2007

Chang of Fools













My waiter was chewing gum.

That's obnoxious even at a greasy spoon. At P.F. Chang's on the Plaza, where it's hard to get through lunch for under $12 a person, it's unacceptable.

When I first ate at the upscale chain several years ago, I was impressed by the quality of the food and by the sleek presentation. Earlier this week, I returned to the restaurant for first time in at least five years.

The food was fine and the atmosphere was pleasant. But I wasn't knocked out. The quandary is that my expectations have since been raised. After P.F. Chang's successfully swept the nation, other Chinese restaurants quickly adapted by improving their menus. Additionally, Asian produce became readily available at grocery stores. (I'm making sesame beef for dinner tonight.)

P.F. Chang's seems to be a victim of its own success. Now, about that gum...

5 Comments:

  • At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hate their proud tableside sauce concoction-making.

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Blogger Xavier Onassis said…

    Yummm! Lettuce wraps!!

    Our office went there earlier this week. It was good.

    I'm never a fan of OVERLY attentive wait staff.

    Tell me what I need to know, get my order right, keep my drink full, and don't ask me "how is everything?" while I have a mouthful of food and can only say "mmmmmmgggdddd" while giving a thumbs up.

    Don't sit down at my table (unless I'm at Hooters), don't try to start a conversation about anything other than what I want from you (unless I'm at Hooters), and don't pretend like we have connected in some way and we are now friends (unless I'm at Hooters).

    I like Hooters.

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    maybe you should try their asian-diner spinoff, pei wei (i think that's how it's spelled.) it's at 93 and metcalf by borders, mac grill etc. you order at the counter, chipotle-style, and then sit down. all you deal with is someone bringing your food to the table. and the two times i've eaten there, i've been pleased with the price, portion size and taste. yum.

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    That sounds great, PG. I didn't realize the connection. A person could eat very well on Metcalf between 89th and 93rd. Well over a dozen international cuisines are represented on that strip.

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger pom. said…

    Agreed!! PF Chang's was a huge disappointment when I went there a few months ago. The lettuce wraps are awful! I've had much, much better lettuce wraps elsewhere and agreed, that tableside sauce shit? Let me do my own sauce mixing and whatnot.

    Imma try pei wei's at jessi's suggestion.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home