Happy In Bag

Monday, February 12, 2007

Drab, Dreary and Frigid











The bitter cold isn't the only challenge presented by the long Midwestern winter. Daylight can be illusory. The unrelenting gray skies and dormant brown vegetation can transform mundane man-made objects into spectacular works of accidental art. I catch myself admiring color schemes in the yard signs of political candidates. A red stoplight can seem transformatively brilliant. Yesterday, just as the sun made a rare appearance, I spotted this colorful kite caught in a barren tree. The moment seemed like a divine signal.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    As you know, brother, that movie already exists. And as I indicated this morning over at
    There Stands the Glass, I don't really like the Chicks' new one, Rick Rubin or not.

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was walking back from Top of the Wornall yesterday morning and saw a male cardinal in a bush. It filled me with joy, and I thought

    The nights are getting warmer, it won't be long
    Won't be long til summer comes,
    Now that the birds are here again

    The birds are back in town...

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Yeah, Panos, add male cardinals to the list. ...If that chick don't want to know, forget her.

     
  • At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bwahahaha!

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, have you patronized Flo's Poke-A-Dot Lounge?

    Does it have a pool table?

    Did you know that the laundromat next door has Dirty Harry pinball?

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    A long, long time ago there used to be a semi-topless "go-go dancer" joint on Wornall. I used to frequent it on occasion. It was no big deal- there wasn't even a cover charge. I mention this because I think it might have been where Flo's is now. (Somebody like Death might remember the specifics.) But I haven't been in that room since then.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home