Happy In Bag

Monday, November 08, 2010

Partial to Porton










I once was offered an attractive job by a company based in Houston. In an effort to decide if I should relocate, I composed a typical list of pros-and-cons. Food ranked among the top five reasons I should make the move. Houston's vast sprawl contains a dizzying array of restaurants offering food from around the world. I fantasized about being warmly greeted as a familiar friend as I entered any number of nondescript but excellent strip mall establishments. I passed on the job and the company went out of business soon after. Yet all is not lost. I found a Houston-style spot near my home in Johnson County. The gregarious waitress at the small Venezuelan establishment El Porton Cafe is delightful. The restaurant isn't cheap, but hey, friendship is priceless.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:07 AM, Blogger the unthinking lemming said…

    Last time I was there for lunch I was the sole patron, had an over-attentive waiter and endured a running dialogue in the dining area between said waiter and the proprietor my entire visit.

    At least the food was good.

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger bigsteveno said…

    "This website elportoncafe.com is currently unavailable due to exceeded traffic quota." It's the curse of being mentioned on Happy in Bag.

     
  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Still down, Steve! Yikes.

    That doesn't sound so bad to me, UL, but then again, I wasn't there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home