Happy In Bag

Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Unraveling Will Be Televised















Don't watch this video.

It's sickeningly depressing.

The Kansas City knuckleheads featured here are clearly showing off for the camera, and whether or not their individual claims can be substantiated, they represent our society’s tragic failure to offer all citizens a sense of hope and opportunity.

There have always been goons, and there’s nothing new about flagrant criminal activity. Even so, this footage represents a new pervasive sense of apocalyptic nihilism that’s destroyed countless lives.

Plenty of people are to blame for creating these lost souls. Yet until the situation improves, I suggest that this video be screened at the commencement of every meeting of the school board and the city council.

We have to do better. Until then, I intend to mind my manners when I spot a "12" on a ball cap.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    Happy,

    I know what you mean. I posted this video in a depressing YouTube Tuesday a few weeks ago.

    The problem is, this culture is so ingrained in certain places now. I mean, there were "men" in the 50s/60s talking about how you'll get killed if you talk. That's the role model the youth have. That and 50Cent's get rich or die trying.

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Gee whiz, Emaw. I thought I read you religiously, but I missed that. Sorry to step on your scoop, especially since I failed to add much to your editorial.

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    No offense taken. I'm glad you found the video and got it out there. I'm not sure what the solution to this kind of thing is since it has become an institutionalized problem that spans generations.

    But somehow, I think awareness is going to be key.

     
  • At 2:32 AM, Blogger Tony said…

    What you wrote is amazingly insightful. The video was every bit as tragic as you contend. I'm also glad that emaw wrote about it as well. The more people speak out, mock or decry this kind of stupidity, the better.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home