Happy In Bag

Monday, September 11, 2006

Gregory Hickman-Williams














I never saw Gregory Hickman-Williams perform.

His partner Jon contacted me last winter as they were working on a recording. I was skeptical; I never heard of the vocalist. But I became a believer when I listened to a few sample recordings in Hickman-Williams’ home. His operatic voice, employed in a jazz setting, was distinctive.

I circled the March 26 CD release party at Jardine’s on my calendar. I’d finally get to see this man sing. It never happened.

A sudden hospitalization just before that date forced him to miss his gig. To my knowledge, Hickman-Williams never left the hospital. He died August 26. He was 49. The Kansas City Star ran this nice tribute Friday. I wrote this glowing review of his album in May.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home