Happy In Bag

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Leavenworth Lulu










I whipped into the parking lot of this Leavenworth diner immediately upon spotting it a couple days ago. How could I not? Just look at this joint. If Homer's Drive Inn isn't the Holy Grail of undiscovered greasy spoons, it's pretty close. I can't turn up a single blog mention and this site has the only online review. Part of the disconnect may be the diner's provincial nature. While my waitress was friendly enough, a couple regulars made it clear that I wasn't welcome. I'm a little bit different, I suppose, but if they can't handle me then I hate to think of how these cranky customers would deal with anyone resembling one-time Leavenworth residents Melissa Etheridge or Wayne Simien. My presence as an outsider seemingly put a bit of a damper on the lunch hour regulars. Even so, I overheard detailed reports on failing marriages, medical procedures and stalled trucks. I wasn't especially hungry, so I ordered the day's special- a double hamburger, fries and drink for $3.49. It was a lot like Winstead's, only better.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Mark said…

    How was the smoke? I haven't been to Homer's since they took down the giant lighted hamburger because the picture had faded to bright green. It stayed up looking like that for years, but the place has changed hands since then. I had to put Homer's on my list of smoky establishments to avoid. admittedly not an issue for some people.

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Thanks for asking, Mark. I failed to mention that almost everyone around me was smoking.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ha, Lexus SUV parked in front.

    Oops, that's not yours, is it?

    /backpedaling

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Hardly, Panos. In fact, you might recall that I once wrote about "profiling" drivers of black SUVs and trucks as inconsiderate. I'll add most Lexus drivers to that list.

    Back to Homer's- I think if you pull up at that spot a waitress will come out to take your order. That'd solve Mark's dilemna.

     
  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    You went to Homers & didn't get a malt?? Don't you know that malts are manditory at diners like Homers?

    I guess you just have to go back.

     
  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    I know you're right, Erin, but this whole fat guy thing isn't working out for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home