Happy In Bag

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Organ Grindin' Man












It's over. I spent twenty years working in a specialized niche of the entertainment industry. I loved it, and I managed to strike gold a few times before the death spiral set in five years ago. Not one of my six primary employers is still in business. And while I no longer have a direct stake in the industry, a number of my former associates are losing their jobs this month. Even though their employer netted $55 million in annual sales, the company was sold to a competitor for just $6.5 million. Those figures reflect the dismal state of the industry. Toss the nice man a nickel...

3 Comments:

  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    I'd be interested in your thought for the reasons behind this decline. I've heard a lot of reasons from different people. But I'd like to know what you think, being an "insider."

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Blogger Xavier Onassis said…

    "I spent twenty years working in a specialized niche of the entertainment industry"

    You're a pimp, aren't you?

    I knew it!

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Smarter men like you, XO, know that there's job security in such an entrenched profession.

    But I'm a dope. "Follow your passion," they say. Ha! It's music. Specifically, music distribution.

    I don't have much to add to the discussion about the decline of music sales that you- or every American teenager- doesn't already know, Emaw.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home