Happy In Bag

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Lush Life











The new July calendar distracted me as I sat in a dark corner of Jardine's on Saturday afternoon. A terrific female flugelhorn player had joined Luqman Hamza and Tommy Ruskin on the tiny stage but only a couple dozen people were on hand to hear her. As I looked over the club's stellar lineup for the next four weeks, I vowed to shill for the joint come Monday. While I don't get anything out of this endorsement, would it kill the bar staff to smile at me just once? A few nights look especially promising. I adore the weekly Saturday afternoon jam sessions. And local favorite Ida McBeth plays every Saturday night. Unheralded trumpet genius Gary Sivils performs July 8. Bram Wijnands- one of the few local jazz musicians with a decent web presence- revives prime Kansas City jazz on July 11. Young chanteuse Megan Birdsall sings on July 25. And the seasoned Wild Women of Kansas City play July 29.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger bgo said…

    Aside from snide wait staff at bars, jazz or not, Gary Sivils is a hero of mine. The guy has all the goods and then some. My ex-cousin by marriage, Paul Smith was his partner in crime all so many years ago when you were still wearing diapers, HIB.

    I love the old guys, or ht ones getting older, and I miss the ones I met and knew like McShann, Minor, Lovett who have left our mortal coil, and on and on like a full circle around the sun. Day in and day out.

    I've lived and loved and had my heart broken, but some KC Cats & Kittens have always brought me back home. Thinking of you Priscilla.

    Bgo

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Here's a secret only you might care about, BGO: Sivils is my third cousin, or something like that.

    Here's another bit of personal trivia: The first time I snuck into the Grand Emporium, Priscilla Bowman was on stage.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home