Happy In Bag

Monday, November 10, 2008

Masala











Low expectations sometimes lead to delightful revelations. In a nondescript building in the parking lot of the Whole Foods grocery just off 91st and Metcalf, I ate the best lamb I've ever tasted. New Indian restaurant Masala recently opened in the space formerly occupied by a Hawaiian barbecue joint. It's a little pricey, but the redesigned room is attractive and the service is excellent. (A plate of tandoori chicken is pictured here- I extend an insincere apology to vegan readers.)

5 Comments:

  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger the unthinking lemming said…

    I like a good Indian meal. I'll give it a try. Hope they last longer than the two previous eateries in that spot. Still, I'll bet they are gone by the end of next year.

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    That spot does seem ill-fated, UL. And Masala's certainly not giving their food away.

    I should have noted that Masala offers an extensive vegetarian menu; I also believe they have a lunch buffet.

     
  • At 6:52 PM, Blogger Ruralgurl said…

    Indian lunch buffet..... Mmmmmmm..... I would like to tuck into a self induced korma coma right about now. So many ethnicities, so little time.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger bgo said…

    What I find amazing is that the new owner hired the owner of the previous joint, Max Chao to manage Masala Authenic Indian Diner. And the have a Mexican waiter. Talk about multi-cultural. I love America. The buzz is that the local Indian community love this place. That is if you believe Feruzza.

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    That's another thing I didn't mention- over half of my fellow diners were Indian.

    Is that in the new Pitch? I enjoy reading Feruzza.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home