Happy In Bag

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Never Ever Change











I felt as if I'd fallen down a ravioli-infested rabbit hole the moment I entered Anthony's the other night. Much to the amusement of the packed room, a jolly man with a microphone serenaded me with a rendition "The Way You Look Tonight." Very funny. Even more surreal was the sudden realization that the joint hadn't changed a bit since I'd last dined there in the late '80s. Anthony's redefines old school. They've retained that breathless charm.

7 Comments:

  • At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Average Jane said…

    Every time I drive by Anthony's, I think about how I'm overdue to eat there again. It's not what I'd call *good*, but I love the nostalgia factor.

     
  • At 7:28 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    I shared that exact sentiment with you for twenty years, AJ. I'm glad I finally started the cycle anew.

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger bgo said…

    I have some pretty good stories stored up about this joint. Let's just say the place is full of characters, some of whom might be best described as wise guys.

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Blogger the unthinking lemming said…

    Alas! My nostalgia is the Villa Capri on Metcalf.

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Blogger The DLC said…

    Anthony's was pretty much the first place people took me when I moved to Kansas City. As predicted I loved the roving crooner, the big-haired cashier and preposterously old-school Italian clientele. Have you seen the little Virgin Mary shrine out in the parking lot?

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    I'd love to hear those sagas, BGO.

    Villa Capri is also shockingly unchanged, UL. I love that place.

    I'm unaware of the shrine, DLC. I guess I have to go back to take a look. Thanks.

     
  • At 1:51 PM, Blogger the unthinking lemming said…

    Nostalgia must be worth something. I can create a better meal for the money with a jar of Ragu compared to the the menu at VC.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home