Happy In Bag

Thursday, February 11, 2010

To a Fine Boy










A stash of birthday cards and letters I received as a child was recently uncovered. Two things immediately struck me. My grandparents wrote long letters that serve as incredibly charming time capsules. One details her health- "feel fine only tired at times- don't cough any more." Another notes that "some newly weds have moved in Mrs. Wilson's house & we have neighbors on the west- a pair of brown thrushes have built a nest in the bitter sweet bush just out side the window by the kitchen stove..." The other revelation is the outdated style of the store-bought cards. Do these color schemes even exist in 2010? Once a "fine boy," today I feel like a sepia-toned antique.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:24 PM, Blogger bgo said…

    You're barely into what is charitably referred to as a geezer. Not old enough for antique status and no shine left at all. Face it. It's downhill now. You'll get used to it. They have better medications than ever before. Take plenty of Vitamin D and get good doses of calcium. At least 50mg of Thiamine a day helps turn Carbs into energy and keeps the liver healthy (especially if you drink booze). And always a multiple vitamin with breakfast, which you should never skip. Any more advice and I'll start charging for the wisdom dispensed. Your pal from the left side of 60, bgo.

     
  • At 1:44 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Thanks for the tips, BGO. In truth, my biggest problem is stamina. (No, not like that. Cut it out.) It's just that after an 18-hour day it becomes imperative that I go to bed. Sleep used to be optional.

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger Donna. W said…

    I have some old birthday cards sent to me as a child. Cards have changed since then.

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous mike said…

    this is what happens when you spend three hours at a gov't mule concert. just not like the old days, eh? i feel your pain, or rather, need for sleep! -mike t.

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Things have changed, Donna.

    I honestly "liked" most of that Gov't Mule show, Mike. Two things I could do without: ten-minute drum solos and drunk guys clipping me as they trip on Liberty Hall's tricky tiers.

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger bgo said…

    I'd pay good money to bring Max Roach back alive for a 10 minute drum solo.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home