Happy In Bag

Friday, December 17, 2010

561-1580












I'm not joining the "Save Streetside Records KCMO" movement on Facebook. It's not that I want the record store to close. I toiled at 4128 Broadway as a clerk and as an outside sales rep for years. But a series of events that I usually try to keep suppressed led to a stint as a stooge for the CEO of TWMC, the current owners of the shop. Under orders from my superiors, I knowingly engaged in regrettable behavior just to stay on the payroll and in the industry. It's a little late in the game for me to issue an apology or to pretend that I'm a paragon of pure intentions.

(Original image of a different retailer by Happy In Bag.)

3 Comments:

  • At 6:39 AM, Anonymous mike t. said…

    hate it when someone says or writes, "my superiors" when referencing their boss(es). superior? really?

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    A few people have asked for details about the content of this post. Lest readers think I'm the worst type of scoundrel, I'll provide a bit of clarification.

    Over a dozen full-service independent record label distributors existed in the United States in the late '80s. The practice seems quaint today, but an informal code forbade companies to sell outside their regions. The arrangement worked well for concerns with big accounts situated in their territories. It didn't favor the Kansas City-area company that employed me.

    I was a hungry and ambitious kid, so I willingly complied when my boss proposed that we dispense with the rules. In an effort to stay afloat, we formulated a plan to sell outside of our assigned territory. Our sales pitch was based on superior product fill, extended dating and exclusive access to my services. The major retailer in New York bought in. The plan was a complete success until our vendors revolted.

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger Ruralgurl said…

    Sorry, folks. Me neither. It hasn't been Streetside Records in a long, LONG time. It's just another 'fye'. It might be sad to see it go, but dignity has already left the building. Maybe a restaurant can move into this one, too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home