Happy In Bag

Friday, April 22, 2011

Spiral Staircase










The view from the Eiffel Tower is breathtaking. The vista it affords is just one of the reasons I loved visiting Paris for the first time last month. As far as I could tell, however, the famous landmark may be the only structure in Paris with an elevator. My bed was a six-floor climb up a spiral staircase. Montmartre looks charming from a distance but it's actually a torturous series of stairs. Spending a day at the Louvre feels like an Iron Man competition. Any one of these challenges wouldn't have posed a problem, but the cumulative toil they took on a chunky "Kansas City skinny" tourist was taxing. I've heard that cigarettes and wine keep Parisians trim. I know better.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Nick said…

    As amazing as the view from the Eiffel is, the amount of mid city public park space surrounding the Eiffel is unlike anything I've ever seen. Even Central Park boasts nothing more ostentatious than colorful muggers...

    Did you by any chance visit the Maine-Montparnasse? Its view of the Eiffel at night is unparalleled.

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Every morning, Nick, I'd take my sack breakfast to that park to watch Parisians let their dogs run wild. It's quite a scene.

    I did not go to that skyscraper but I heard many locals talking smack about it.

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Nick said…

    oh yeah - it's not up to parisien esthetic standards. and i think it had a shopping mall inside(bad, bad American influence!) but you can take the most wonderful pics of the eiffel from there...

     
  • At 10:14 PM, Blogger the unthinking lemming said…

    I love Paris. MontMartre made my knee hurt. The view from the towor was fabulous. The jazz was unforgetable.

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Blogger Ruralgurl said…

    Totally laughing to myself right now, imaging local Parisians talking smack. Smack en Francais. heh-heh-heh-heh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home