Happy In Bag

Monday, May 22, 2006

That's Purty














Now I know how I’ll spend my waning days if I'm still in Kansas City when I'm an old man.

I visited the Overland Park Arboretum for the first time Sunday. The giant garden at 179th and Antioch features acres of beautiful plants and water displays. It’s tranquil but not too fussy; a normal amount of weeds has infiltrated the greenery and crawdad shells were rotting on a creek bed.

As a bird nerd, I was thrilled to spot a number of fresh feathers for the first time this year, including the stunning Eastern Bluebirds that refuse to visit my backyard. I just wish that whatever keeps the rabbits at bay would be applied to mosquitos. The blood-suckers drained so much fluid that I became lightheaded.

I’ll come prepared when I’m an old man.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've seen a killdeer out here at work. It's nice.

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger Roldy said…

    We spotted turtles (in the river), snakes, and deer. And a ton of birds.

    It's formal gardens are great and its trails even better. And it's free and often quiet.

    Big up the Arboretum.

     
  • At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The two greates contributions Overland Park has made to the metro area are their bike trail system and the Arboretum. It's definitely worth a visit, even if it does take a day's wages to pay the gas to drive out that far. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home