Happy In Bag

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I'm a Spammobile











I used to think I was a nice guy.

About once a week I say something hideously insensitive. I’m oblivious to the hurtful nature of the words when they leave my mouth, but I quickly realize that a normal person would construe them as demeaning and cruel. The damage is immediate, and an apology can’t remedy the pain. It haunts me.

Is this a normal part of the human condition, or am I just like an incongruous Spammobile parked in front of Crown Center?

5 Comments:

  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger Xavier Onassis said…

    In the cube-farm where I used to work, a co-worker was celebrating her 25th Service Anniversary.

    One of my younger peers, sincerely meaning well, informed her "That really IS quite an accomplishment! I was like 2 years old when you started work here!"

    You are not alone.

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger Mark Kind said…

    I was lunching with a former co-worker when a friend asked him what he planned to name his baby. The former co-worker, known for deadpan humor, said, "We're thinking about Maxwell." Bwah hah hah hah hah, I said. The rest of the table looked uncomfortable, and I ate my barbecue as fast as I could.

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Yeah, guys, that's the kind of thoughtless stuff I do. It's those silences that just devastate me.

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...

     
  • At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I feel like the world's biggest unremitting bitch at the end of nearly every day. Weekday, that is.

    I think they are pumping chemicals into the cube farm air.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home