Happy In Bag

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Flights of Fancy

Hummingbirds appeal to my worst tendencies. People have accused me of being prone to hallucinations and imagined realities. Given hummingbirds’ size, speed, and color schemes, let alone their improbable existence, I’m never quite certain that these flashing darts of color are real.

So when I spotted what seemed to be a hummingbird dejectedly poking at an empty feeder Tuesday morning, I excitedly loaded all the feeders around my home for the first time this year. And sure enough, by evening I was tracking at least two species of these magical creatures.

A Cooper's hawk briefly watched from a maple tree in the front yard. It made odd growling sounds before soaring away. At least, I think that's what happened.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Andy Michael said…

    You've inspired me to do the same.
    I used to birdwatch with my Mum all the time. I think it's time to do some more of that.

     
  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Dan said…

    I thought that there was only one species that visits KC. Are you sure you're not just seeing males and females of the same species?

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Dan- I have black, green and ruby-throats at my feeders today. This source indicates that I may not be delusional:
    http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/geary/Birds/bbg8.pdf

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Dan said…

    Cool - thanks for the tip!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home